Tuesday 2 November 2010

A Tenant's Plaint

What an iniquitous economic order it is in which we live, in which one man may be forced from his home at the whim of another. I live in a place for years, I'm up to date with my rent, all is well. Still, I'm being ejected from my habitual abode with little notice and no reason given. I'm paying the level of rent prevalent when I moved in, which is slightly lower than the other flats in the building, so I'm not surprised to find that I'm being kicked out only when, for almost the first time that I've known, all the other flats in the building are actually occupied.

I also expect the greedy and parasitical landlord the try to retain my deposit, probably necessitating a trip to the local court should I want to recover it, which I certainly will. True, some of the paint is peeling and the settee has been heavily used, certainly a window is broken and black mould is on the ceiling of the kitchen, but all this is the landlord's responsibility. Paintwork isn't my responsibility, and the settee has merely been sat on and treated in the manner to be expected, reasonable wear and tear in a furnished premises. The mould comes from damp caused by poor insulation and overflowing gutters about which the landlord refuses to do anything. And the window was broken when I got here, as the inventory would should if I could extract one from the landlord's agent, a company seemingly bent on refusing to fulfill their legal obligations.

Also relevant are the shortcomings of the management of the property by the landlord:
that the notice posted by the agents referring to the hiring of a professional cleaner is a sham actually marking the removal of a professional cleaner and her replacement by the landlord's wife;
that the landlord has not spent a penny on the place since I moved in, even failing to replace a faulty lock, door bell and fire alarm on request;
that the landlord has consistently failed to perform such periodic maintenance required by either law or common sense as the clearing of gutters and testing of electrical equipment;
that the landlord's lackey has issued threats against tenants who have been victims of theft to the effect that taking bicycles inside where they will not be stolen is grounds for immediate eviction, which is legally untrue;
that the landlord has installed a locking gate outside the premises to prevent the vandalisation of his wheely-bins without informing the tenants of the code to open the gate, which I personally discovered only from the man installing the gate;
that the landlord has blamed tenants for problems with security when this gate has been left open although it must be left open at all times as the letter box and doorbells through which tenants receive post and notice of visitors are attached to the main wall of the building within the gate;
that the landlord and his agent, which pretends to be a reputable company have entered the premises on which I hold the tenancy without permission or notice on at least two occasions, constituting a breach of the law regarding harassment of tenants;
that the landlord has installed card meters for the electricity supply without notice or consultation;
that the landlord and his agent have profited from the inflation of bills before the aforementioned installation, in breach of the law;
that the landlord's agent has failed to respond to a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act, in breach of statutory responsibilities;
that the landlord has contacted members of my family as a continuation of their policy of harrassment in breach of the law and that the agent has breached the Data Protection Act by providing them with this information without consent;
that the landlord's agent has declined to provide an inventory as taken at the time of the commencement of the tenancy

On these grounds and others I intend to argue that the withholding of my deposit is not only theft but also a continuation of a policy of negligence and harrassment.

No comments:

Post a Comment